This October, communities, allies, and individuals across the nation will come together to recognize Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM). While the destruction domestic violence causes on individuals, families, and communities are infinite, so is the positive impact of those willing to take a stand and support survivors. You may believe your voice or contribution is insignificant, but to one person, YOU could be the lifeline that helps a victim become a survivor.
Read below to learn how you can make an impact this October.
- Speak Out on Social Media:
Utilize social media to share information about Domestic Violence Awareness Month throughout October. Share your thoughts, speak out, provide your friends and followers with ways they can help. Need some inspiration for your posts? Check out the shareable posts below and feel to use #SPSDVAM when sharing the info:
Sample post 1 - Sample post 2 - Sample post 3 - Sample post 4
Sample post 5 - Sample post 6 - Sample post 7 - Sample post 8
Sample post 9 - Sample post 10
- Join the $31 for 31 Campaign:
Your donation of just $1 a day in October provides funding for critical advocacy services. For less than the price of a daily cup of coffee, YOU can make a difference in the lives of for local victims and survivors of abuse! Want to make a bigger impact throughout the year? Consider committing to a $31 monthly donation for the year.
Making your $31 donation is easy. Visit https://www.someplacesafe.info/donate.html and select the “$31 for 31” button to donate online or mail a check with your $31 gift to your local Someplace Safe office or to: PO Box 815, Fergus Falls, MN 56538. As an added bonus: $31 for 31 donors will be entered to win prize drawings at the end of the month! Stay tuned for more information.
It can be difficult to know what to do if someone you know is experiencing domestic violence. You might want to help but are unsure of how to approach the issue or fear that intervention may damage your relationship. If you know or suspect someone is experiencing domestic violence, keep a line of support open, listen, and check in with them often. You may also reach out to Someplace Safe with questions about how to talk about domestic violence with someone you care about. Someplace Safe not only assists victims of domestic violence, the agency also provides support and services to friends, family and loved ones, as domestic violence can have widespread impacts on secondary victims as well.
- Join the Annual Day of Purple Campaign:
Purple is the color used throughout October to commemorate Domestic Violence Awareness Month. It may be worn on Thursday, October 22, 2020 in unity with others to support, pay tribute, and honor friends, family, and community members who have experienced domestic violence.
Here is how you may participate:
Someplace Safe invites you to wear purple on Thursday, October 22nd as a way to honor your friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, and community members who have been affected by domestic violence. Wear your favorite purple shirt, jacket, sports jersey, hat, scarf or face mask! Get the whole office or group involved. Use the campaign as a conversation starter: Who are you wearing purple for? Why are you supporting the campaign? What can be done within your office/group/family to help local victims and survivors?
Here is how you may pledge your support:
- You may organize a Purple Pledge collection at work or within your group of friends. Consider pledging a few dollars for the privilege of wearing purple on October 22nd. Purple Pledges may be dropped off at your local office or mailed to: Someplace Safe, PO Box 815, Fergus Falls, MN 56538-0815.
- Purple Pledges may also be made online at www.someplacesafe.info/donate (select “Day of Purple Pledge” as the designation) or via text by sending the message “@sps” to 52014.
- Organize a Day of Purple supply drive. Collect toiletries, gift cards (gas, grocery, local retailers), cell phones (in any condition) and quilts for local Someplace Safe clients who are in emergency situations.
Help publicize the Day of Purple:
- Share Day of Purple information at upcoming meetings, email the information to your co-workers, or get your social group involved.
- Hang a Day of Purple poster in your home, place of business, or meeting space and wear a Day of Purple sticker as symbol of your support and participation. (Free posters and stickers may be requested.)
- Share your #dayofpurple participation photos on social media. Show off your favorite purple fashions to your friends and followers!
For more information or to request free Day of Purple posters or stickers please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your local Someplace Safe office.
Want to print your own Day of Purple materials? Click below:
Instructions/Info for Participants
Social Media Profile Pic 1
Social Media Profile Pic 2